Affordable health insurance for the uninsured and small businesses.
An Important Message for those Enrolling in a Plan Today - Read Now
Healthy NY is a state sponsored program that offers a comprehensive health insurance benefits package for eligible businesses with 50 or fewer employees. Uninsured workers whose employers do not offer health insurance or sole proprietors can also qualify for coverage. By enrolling in the Healthy NY program through Univera Healthcare, you will get the security and peace of mind you only get through Univera Healthcare.
Uninsured Individuals - The Healthy NY individual program is available to both eligible working individuals whose employers do not provide health insurance coverage and to eligible sole proprietors. Sole proprietor applicants must meet the same eligibility criteria that are applicable to working individual applicants. Each of the following requirements must be satisfied in order to participate in the Healthy NY individual program:
- You must be a resident of New York State
- You must be employed on a full-time, part-time or episodic basis or you must be a sole proprietor
- Your total gross household income must not exceed the household income limitations of the program (250% of the gross federal poverty level)
- You must be currently uninsured and you must have been uninsured for the previous 12 months (see the exceptions below)
- Your employer must not currently provide group health insurance coverage and must not have provided such coverage during the previous 12 months (see the exceptions below)
- You cannot be eligible for Medicare
Small Businesses - Each of the following requirements must be satisfied in order for a small business to participate in the Healthy NY program:
- The business must have 50 or fewer eligible employees
- One-third (30%) of the employees must earn $41,250* or less annually
- The business must not have provided group health insurance coverage to its employees within the preceding 12 months
- 50% of the eligible employees must participate in the program and at least one participant must earn annual wages of $41,250* or less
- The small employer and employee share equally in the cost of the premium (though the employer may choose to pay more than 50% of the premium)
- The business must be located within New York State
*Adjusted annually for inflation
Exceptions to eligibility criteria.
Exceptions to the above criteria that may allow individuals or sole proprietors to qualify for Healthy NY coverage are:
- Loss of employment
- Change to a new employer
- Death of a family member
- Change of residence
- Discontinuation of a group health plan
- Termination or cancellation of COBRA coverage
- Change in marital status
- Loss of eligibility for group health insurance coverage
- Reaching age limit for dependent coverage
Benefits to keep you covered.
Healthy NY provides coverage for essential health care needs such as inpatient and outpatient hospital services, physician and surgical services, maternity care, preventive health services, diagnostic and x-ray services, emergency services, and a prescription benefit.
Follow the links below to view a Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC):
Follow this link to view the SBC Glossary.
2013 Product Options
If you are new to Healthy NY you must enroll in the High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) option. This is a New York State requirement for all applicants seeking coverage for an effective date on or after January 1, 2012.
With a high deductible health plan you must pay for most health care expenses up to the amount of the deductible for the plan year before the insurance policy begins to cover them.
The deductible for 2013 is $1,250 for individuals and $2,500 for families (more than one person).
For more information or to apply.
More information about Healthy New York can be found at the Healthy New York web site established by the New York State Insurance Department.
For coverage for your family, call 1-800-499-1275. If you are a Small Businesses, call 1-800-427-8490.