Univera Healthcare Looking for Owners of "Forgotten Funds"
More than 9,000 individuals and companies in New York state have forgotten more than $1.1 million in checks issued by Univera Healthcare and it’s Rochester-based parent health plan. These funds are in the form of unclaimed checks issued in 2009 to members and health care providers.
A complete list of names of people and companies with checks to claim is available online: Search for Forgotten Funds
Every year, New York state requires insurers, including Univera Healthcare, to make a list of unclaimed checks that are at least three years old. The names are then placed in legal notices in local newspapers in an attempt to find the people who have money to claim. If the property is not claimed by the end of August, the money is then turned over to the Comptroller of the State of New York.
“This is money that was paid for claims or refunded premiums,” said Art Wingerter, Univera Healthcare president. “It rightfully belongs to our members or providers, and we want to make sure they have one more chance to claim it before it goes to the state.”
Most of the funds that have yet to be redeemed were allocated to Univera Healthcare members and providers. Checks may not have been cashed for a number of reasons. The member may have moved and not left a forwarding address, a member may have died, or the member simply forgot about the money.
If you think you may have a check to claim, please follow these steps:
- Search for Forgotten Funds
- If you found the name you entered on the searchable database above, to claim a check prior to August 31, do one of the following steps:
- Via e-mail, contact Customer Services or Provider Services
- By phone:
- If you are currently a health plan member, please call the phone number on your member identification card.
- If you are no longer a health plan member, or if you are calling on behalf of the estate of a family member, call Univera Healthcare: 1 (877) 757-3850.
To claim a check after September, contact the NYS Comptroller's office directly at 1-800-221-9311 (within New York State) or 1-518-474-4038 (outside New York) or write to:
Office of the State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli
Office of Unclaimed Funds
110 State Street
Albany, New York 12236